Here's some suggested ways in which you can improve your job hunt before this summer
Friday, May 19, 2023
Summer holidays are approaching. If you're a student, you might want to try and get a summer job using our job board. Lots of companies are advertising for seasonal and summer workers.
Here's some suggested ways in which you can improve that job hunt before this summer.
- Make sure your CV and covering letter are prepared. They're the only thing the potential employer has to judge your application on before interview. Make sure they are error free and give an employer an overview of the relevant, skills, experience and expertise you can bring to the employer's role.
- Make sure you tailor your application to each job. Don't just send out the same CV and cover letter to every job you apply for. Try and come up with a relevant point in your cover letter that will make you stand out.
- Proofread your application carefully. Typos and grammatical errors will make you look unprofessional, so be sure to proofread your CV and cover letter carefully before you submit them. You can also ask a friend or family member to proofread them for you.
- Follow up after you apply. After you apply for a job, be sure to follow up with the employer. You can do this by sending a thank-you email or by calling the employer to check on the status of your application.
- Consider setting up a LinkedIn profile. Connect with relevant local people such as local employers and make sure your social media posts do not contain content that is inappropriate to potential employers.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful:
- As well as using the search functionality on New Job Today, maybe consider asking local friends, family and former classmates in your home town of any suitable summer jobs. Think in advance about what you will wear to an interview - first impressions really do matter.
- Your first interview might be online so make sure your phone or laptop kit works or get arrange for access to this beforehand.
- Think in advance for about how you might answer common interview questions so you can give confident and well thought out answers
From the team here at New Job Today we hope these tips help you find a great summer job and remember to use us for full time job searching when you have completed your studies!