New Job Today's guide to putting together your CV
Tuesday, May 16, 2023
Here's New Job Today's guide to putting together your CV to apply for jobs:
1. Keep it concise. - Your CV should be no more than two pages long, and that's two pages of A4 paper. Employers spend an average of just 8 seconds looking at any one CV, so you need to make sure yours is easy to read and gets to the point quickly.
2. Tailor your CV to the job you're applying for. Don't just send out the same generic CV to every job you apply for. Take the time to read the job description carefully and make sure you tailor your CV to highlight the skills and experience that are most relevant to the role.
3. Use keywords. When you're tailoring your CV, do make sure you use keywords that are relevant to the job you're applying for. This will help your CV get noticed by automated applicant tracking systems (ATS), which are used by many employers to screen job applications.
4. Proofread carefully. Typos and grammatical errors will make you look unprofessional, so be sure to proofread your CV carefully before you send it out. It is always good to ask a friend or relative to also proofread your CV and covering letter.
5. Get feedback. Once you've finished writing your CV, get feedback from someone you trust. This could be a friend, family member or maybe a trusted colleague. Feedback gives a different perspective and can help you identify areas for improvement.
Finally, in formatting your CV, make sure you use a professional font (NEVER comic sans!). Use bullet points to list experience. Be honest, accurate and describe accomplishments where you can. Here are some additional tips that may be helpful:
From all the team at New Job Today, we hope these tips help you write a great CV that will help you get the job you want!